1. Something that stands for, or represents, something else.
3. Three dimensional art which is created out of wood, stone, metal or clay, etc by carving, welding, casting or modeling, etc.
7. If the subject of an art work is presented in a simplified or stylized way, we say that it is this kind of art.
9. Colors like green, blue, violet, turquoise, lime, etc are considered to be this temperature.
10. This is a series of identical prints made from the same plate.
13. This is an area with a border around it.
14. Principle of art concerned with difference or contrast.
15. This is a process in which an artist repeatedly transfers an original image from one prepared surface to another.
16. This principle of art is concerned with equalizing visual forces, or elements, in a work of art.
21. The element of art that is the area between, around, above, below or within things.
26. The name given to the period of awakening at the end of the Middle Ages. French for "rebirth".
27. The material used to make art.
28. A continuous mark made with a moving tool.
29. The artist's personal way of using the elements of art and principles of design to express feelings and ideas.
30. This refers to the way things feel, or look as they might feel if touched.
31. This is the principle of art which uses contrast to draw attention to an area.
35. This is the way the principles of design are used to organize the elements.
39. The message the art work communicates is called this.
40. This is the element of art which is sometimes called shape in three dimensions.
41. This element of art refers to the lightness and darkness of an object.
42. Art made to be functional as well as visually pleasing is called __________ art.
43. The principle of design that indicates movement by the repetition of elements.
44. This means moving, having lots of energy. You might desribe a piture that uses diagonal lines and zigzag lines this way.
1. These colors are orange, green and violet.
2. This element refers to the wavelength of reflected light.
4. The quality of wholeness or oneness that is achieved through the effective use of the elements and principles of art.
5. This is the process of applying color to a surface using tools such as a brush, a painting knife, a roller, or even fingers.
6. A kind of sculpture which is surrounded on all sides by space. This kind of sculpture can be viewed from all sides.
8. This word means very still and unmoving. You might describe a vertical or horizontal this way.
10. ____________ of Art; these are the building blocks for creating art.
11. In this type of art, there is no recognizable subject.
12. A type of sculpture in which forms project from a flat background. These sculptures are designed to be viewed only from the front.
15. Principle of art concerned with the size relationships of one part to another.
17. This word means basic rules or guidelines.
18. Creates unity by stressing similarities of separate but related parts.
19. This is the name of a screen print that has been handmade by an artist.
20. This is a modern technique in which the artist gathers and joins together a variety of different materials to construct a sculpture.
22. These colors are red, blue and yellow.
23. These are a pair of colors on opposite sides of the color wheel.
24. The act of looking at something carefully and thinking deeply about what is seen.
25. In this printmaking process the image to be printed is drawn on limestone, zinc, or aluminum with a special greasy crayon. when the drawing is completed, the surface is chemically treated with a nitric-acid solution to clean it, and it is rinsed with water. When the surface is inked, the greasy area holds the ink.
32. Next to; beside.
33. A single unit that is repeated in a visual rhythm
34. In this sculpture process melted metal or another liquid substance is poured into a mold to harden.
36. The image that the viewer can identify in the artwork.
37. The _______ line appears beneath the caption of an illustration in a book of art and is a list of important facts about a work of art.
38. Colors like orange, red, yellow, gold, maroon are considered to be this temperature.